Monday, June 6, 2011

June 6th - Classic supercell south of Krško/Brežice



I saw a lot of potential for E-Slovenia today (see previous posts), but the morning GFS and WRF models put me in a bad mood because they were seriously downgrading deep layer shear to the point where I saw no potential anymore. Later on, it got a tad better. A potential storm formed south of Novo mesto, and I jumped on it because I knew it could get strong given the moderate CAPE and better shear values further north. I was north of the cell the whole time. I tried to get east of the cell to get a better look, but the cell was moving sharply right and the Gorjanci mountain range (about 1000m high) limited my movement. I would waste an hour to get on the other side. I was hoping the cell would get into the Krško-Brežice valley where the conditions could be very good. That did not happen, it tracked right over Gorjanci and tracked eastward and slightly to the north. I only got one good look at it because of bad road connetions and hills on the south side. And it was a pretty one. It didn't look good at first, only the inflow banding was giving me some hope. At some point I was already contemplating about returning home, but the view got better so I waited a while and got rewarded with a nice classic supercell with a "barber pole" updraft. The supercell never looked very good on the radar, but it had nice structure nevertheless. On the radar image below you can see a significantly stronger cell some ten kilometers to the north, but the terrain there is awful, not chasable at all. So the supercell south of Krško and Brežice was probably the storm of the day.

 I was desperate to get east of it, so I went as far as the Croatian border, but at that point the storm had already dissipated once I got a better look at it. No other significant storms were in the area later that day.

Here it already had a nice inflow, but I was way too far north
to see anything else. Here I'm racing eastward.
Very nice wall cloud. Later on, the rain hide the
structure so had to race eastward again, with no luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment